Monday, December 10, 2012

Birmingham's Frankfurt Christmas Market & Craft Fair



Two weeks ago, so the Saturday before last I went up to Birmingham with Dr. Schweitzer and Kenzie for the Birmingham's Frankfurt Christmas Market & Craft Fair. This Christmas market is the “The largest authentic German market outside Germany and Austria and the centrepiece of the city’s festive event calendar returns to Birmingham for its 11th year. Explore over 180 stalls selling gifts, jewellery, decorations, handmade toys, delicious German fare and of course the ever popular Glühwein!” (http://visitbirmingham.com/christmas/birmingham-frankfurt-christmas-market-craft-fair/)
Leaving bright and early in the morning I recognize that I would have missed the taxi to the coach way if Kenzie hadn’t called me twice to wake me up.
Arriving at the coachway we immediately boarded the bus. Chatting for little bit, hammering out what we were going to do when we got there the conversation finally died. After and attempt to work on my art research paper I eventually succumbed to my drooping eyes and fell asleep.
When we pulled into our stop at Birmingham the cold was the first thing we noticed and I immediately regretted wearing my flats and a pair of tights.
Not to clear were the fair was we wandered around the city a little bit, the map Dr. Schweitzer had printed out proving useless due to the fact that the street signs were about a visible as waldo.
Finding the fair was fantasitic. It was just this long line of German themed Christmas stands filled with German food and trinkets of both the German and Christmas variety.
Walking down the row of stands, marvelled by the sights, I swear to you I could feel the temperature dropping as the ominous clouds began to cover the sky.
We made it all the way down to the end of the fair before the rain started. It was only drizzling and normally that would have been fine. But it was bitingly cold and we didn’t have an umbrella so as my hair got wetter and my shoes soaked through to my tights an escape into somewhere warm was nessicary. So we quickly darted into the art and history museum that was across from the fair. When we walked in and up the flight of stairs the first thing I thought was for such a grand room they had a lot of ugly art hanging on the walls.
Finding our way upstairs we walked into the area that displayed the history of Birmingham in a fun innovative way. Lots of things you could touch and such, it was the type of place 3rd grade teachers took their students to learn about the history of Birmingham in a fun interactive way. Despite the fact that I am a 19 year old college student I really enjoyed all of the interactive buttons that I could push.
Next we found another indoor market due to the fact that it was still raining. This one was by far my favourite, full with vintage clothes and bags I was in heaven and worried about my bank account. But due to my wonderful self control when it comes to shopping I ended up making it out of there having only spent five pounds on a pearl necklace.
Next we walked back out and continued to walk down the market, meeting a nice man who sold his original water colour I enjoyed conversing with him for a short time.
Walking further we found our way out of the fair and instead of walking back we decided to walk through this giant convention centre and on the other end was a canal and the cutest little resuraunte in a boat on the canal. We sat down and got a cup of tea, attempting to wait out the rain. Unseccesful in waiting out the rain we did end up completely dry before we went back outside to brave the cold. Making our way back through the coachway we walked back through the market.
By the time we got to the coachway we were drenched to the bone and cold, happy about the successful day but cold and a little miserable none the less. 









No comments:

Post a Comment